Help & advice for parents

Staying Safe

Pennine Domestic Violence Group

PDVG offer support, advice and practical action to support all victims of domestic abuse, whether it be controlling behaviour, coercion, physical abuse towards women or men.  They have a 24 hour helpline 0800 0527222.

Online Safety Support

At Holmfirth High School we take Online Safety (internet safety) very seriously, on this site you will find lots of information and guidance for Online Safety related topics and dealing with Online Safety incidents.​

Saving money or increasing income

BetterOff Kirklees

BetterOff Kirklees is a website available to you if you live in Kirklees. It will show you the benefits you are entitled to, and will help you to apply for them online. It also offers information about how to find and apply for jobs.

Kirklees citizens advice

Citizens advice could help you save money on your energy bills. Citizens advice can provide you with advice about switching energy tariffs and suppliers, advice about fuel debt, benefit checks and application support.

Free School Meals

Information and guidance for free school meals for students of Holmfirth High School.

Uniform Exchange

In 2010, the Councils school uniform grant was cut in Kirklees and no provisions were put in place to help struggling families. In June 2011, the Uniform Exchange initiative was born.

The Uniform Exchange provides free school uniform to any child who needs extra support and encourages children and families to think of others and the environment.

Tax-free Childcare schemes

Tax-Free Childcare and 30 hours free early education and childcare are new government schemes to help parents with the cost of childcare.
  • Parents will be able to open a new childcare account. For every £8.00 a parent pays into their childcare account, the government will pay in an extra £2.00 Parents can get up to £2,000.00 government support per child per year towards their childcare costs. They can then use this money to pay their childcare provider.
  • All 3 and 4 year olds are already entitled to 15 hours of free early education. Now there will be an additional 15 hours of free childcare available for families that meet the Government’s eligibility criteria.

Click here for the Kirklees website explaining the system


Parents whose children will have their 3rd birthday in the first term of a school year should apply during October If parents apply in October this allows plenty time for HMRC to process their application and also means that their code will not expire before the start of term which could happen if they apply very early.

Home Improvements

Better Homes Kirklees

Improvements which may be available include standard and hard to treat wall insulation, new boilers, replacement windows and doors, new central heating systems and renewable technologies such as solar photovoltaic (PV) panels.

Mears Home Improvement

Mears offer free gas services and gas repairs (subject to receiving certain benefits). Other support you may be able to receive includes draught proofing, emergency heaters and a handyperson service.

Help with Housing

Housing Solutions Service

(Private rented properties)

The Housing Solutions Service can help you to find, keep and maintain an affordable home.

Housing Solutions can support you if you are living in a privately rented house and your landlord has not carried out necessary repairs, or if they do not have up-to-date safety certificates.

Other Social Housing

If you live in social housing please contact your housing provider to see what they can offer with regards to Affordable Warmth.

Kirklees Neighbourhood Housing

(Council properties)

Kirklees Neighbourhood Housing (KNH) – manages council homes and tenancies on behalf of Kirklees Council. Specialist staff can provide you with advice about staying warm and saving energy and can help you better understand your fuel bills, running costs, and changing suppliers.

They can also advise on damp and condensation issues.

They have a team of money advisors who can help with budgeting, debt and benefits. These services are confidential and free to council tenants.

Other advice services

Age UK

Advice, information and general help to people aged 50+

The Age UK Safe and Warm project provides:

  • Home energy and safety advice
  • Help with local and national grant applications for home insulation and improved heating (subject to eligibility)
  • Money saving advice on cutting the cost of energy bills. Age UK have offices in Halifax, Huddersfield and Batley,

Community Plus

Community plus seeks to act as the connecting layer between services and community and is for people of all ages and abilities.  Community plus will explore community based solutions for a wide range of issues.

Community Plus will:

  • work alongside local people,
  • identify local groups and local resources,
  • explore peer and neighbourhood support
  • Seek and support to develop community networking.
  • Work with local authority priorities within a community capacity context.

The Pension Service

The Pension Service Support is offered to pensioners or people close to retirement with advice on state pensions and pension credit entitlements. Personal home consultations can also be arranged if required.

Holmfirth Transition Town – HoTT

(for people in the Holme Valley)

Help for people whose health is vulnerable to winter cold by providing draught proofing materials and basic insulation.

There is a stall in Holmfirth Library, 10.00 to 12.00, on the first Friday morning of each month between September and March


Energy Saving Advice Service

This is an impartial advice service, funded by the Government and provided by the Energy Saving Trust.

Be an energy shopper

Be an Energy shopper Find the best deal for your gas and electricity.

Kirklees Safeguarding Children Board

Information for members of the public, parents and carers, and children and young people, on some of the key issues that can affect the wellbeing and safety of children

Children of alcoholics support organisation

This is a national organisation for anyone whose parents struggle with alcohol dependency.

Advice for single parents: Gingerbread

Gingerbread is a national charity that offers support and guidance for single parents.  They have a social media forum as well as practical tips.  Find out more via their website.